Accessory Mounting Posts for ScienceDesk™ Workstations
- Ideal for Mounting ScienceDesk Accessories
- Multiple Options Provide Customization
- Sturdy Steel Construction
Post for Mounting Accessories on the ScienceDesk Frame
Attach PSY161 or PSY162 Posts to the Work Surface
Ø1.5" Damped Post for Mounting Accessories to the Work Surface
Mounting Accessories to the ScienceDesk™ Frame
Many of Thorlabs' ScienceDesk™ accessories use Ø1.5" mounting posts for attachment to the ScienceDesk frame including our overhead shelves, instrument shelves, monitor mount, and overhead storage trays. They can also be used to mount our range of Ø1.5" post accessories. Each post is attached to the frame of the ScienceDesk using M16 bolts that come in through the bottom of the upper frame bars via the 32 to 40 available through holes (number of holes available depends on frame size). Mounting posts come in two sizes, 750 mm (29.5") or 1000 mm (39.4"), increasing the variety of mounting options available. Please note that many of our accessories can be purchased with posts. Of the accesories listed above, all can be purchased with 750 mm posts except for the monitor mount.
Mounting Accessories to the Work Surface (Optical Table/Breadboard)
We also offer our TA2 adapters for attaching our Ø1.5" mounting posts to a breadboard or optical table surface. However, post-mounted ScienceDesk accessories can also be attached to our standard Ø1.5" posts if need arises. If additional damping of vibrations is required for an accessory mounted on the work surface, we offer Ø1.5" damped mounting posts. These are available in 8" (203.2 mm) and 14" (355.6 mm) heights.
Please Note: These accessories are compatible with our current ScienceDesks (SD Series) and cannot be used with our former generation (PS Series) products sold before March 2009.
Sample ScienceDesk Workstation Configuration
|Click on the various ScienceDesk accessories or text in the photo below for more information on that item.|
The Following Accessories are Not Shown in the Image Above
- Overhead Shelves with 12° Tilt: Overhead shelves with a 12° downward tilt for easy viewing and storage of equipment in the lab.
- Post-Mounted Components Tray: A 300 mm x 300 mm tray for holding small parts.
- Post-Mounted Breadboard Brackets: Bracket for Attaching up to 300 mm x 300 mm or 12" x 12" breadboards to a mounting post.
- Overhead Storage Tray with Rack: Steel tray for included tool caddy and a front-located steel rack for included linbins.
- Frame Risers: Designed to raise the standard ScienceDesk tabletop to a heoght of 910 mm (35.80"), making it an ideal standing desk.
- 12-Outlet Power Strips: Available with US-, EU-, or UK-style plugs. Fits to the rear rail of the desk or underneath the overhead shelf.
- Storage Rack: Adds plastic storage bins to the side or rear panel of the ScienceDesk. Cannot be used with the Under Table Shelf.
- LED Strip Light: Fits underneath the overhead shelf.
- Cable Tray: Ideal for keeping electrical and fiber optic cables tidy.
|No Comments Posted|
- Two Lengths: 750 mm (29.5") or 1000 mm (39.4")
- Ideal for Monitor Mount, Overhead Shelves, or Instrument Shelves
- M16 Bolt Attaches to Outside Rails of ScienceDesk Frame
These 750 mm (29.5") and 1000 mm (39.4") tall posts are used to attach ScienceDesk™ accessories, such as our Monitor Mount, Overhead Shelves, or Instrument Shelves, to the frame of our ScienceDesk Workstations. Each post has a diameter of 1.5", making them compatible with our Ø1.5" post platforms, mounting plates, construction accessories, and V-mounts. A provided M16 bolt is used to attach the post to the frame of the ScienceDesk.
We offer the TA2 Post Adapter below for mounting these posts onto the optical table or breadboard surface.
The TA2 Post Adapter allows a Ø1.5" ScienceDesk post to be fitted to an optical table or breadboard. With this adapter, post-mounted ScienceDesk accessories such as monitor mounts, keyboard rests, and shelves can compliment nearly any standard breadboard or table, increasing usable workspace.
The adapter features elongated slots and is supplied with a replacement post stud, together with M6 and 1/4"-20 bolts to fit to either metric or imperial work surfaces. Two adapters are necessary to attach the two posts required for fitting an overhead shelf unit. The adapter is fitted to the ScienceDesk posts via an M16 counterbore.
Click to Enlarge
The BD8A and DP14A Feature an Engraved Top Cap Indicating the Item # as well as a 1/4"-20 Tapped Hole
- Dynamic Damping Provides Fast Ring Down
- Nickel-Plated Steel with Matte Finish for Long Life
- Permanent Mounting Base with Four 1/4" (M6) Counterbores
- 8" and 14" Long Versions Available
These dynamically damped Ø1.5" mounting posts provide a vibration-limiting alternative to using a Ø1.5" mounting post with a TA2 adapter. These posts feature optimized damping that outperforms other damped post designs. Damped posts are ideal for use in applications where vibrations must be limited, such as beam steering and imaging. Ring down testing was performed on both of these posts. The results for the DP8A are shown below, for DP14A results and information about the testing click here.
Click to Enlarge
A 1.1 lb (0.50 kg) load was mounted approximately 2" from the top of the Post. The post was then struck approximately 0.5" from the top with an impulse hammer, oscillations were measured with an accelerometer mounted to the top of the post, and the time for the amplitude to return to 0 was noted. For complete test results please click here.
Our Dynamically Damped Posts are fabricated from steel with a nickel-plated matte finish and utilize internal damping weights containing no lead. They have an engineered passive vibration dampening design. An internal suspension system allows weights inside the post to move independently from the post's outer body, thus allowing vibrational energy to quickly be absorbed and dissipated. The permanently attached mounting base has four 1/4" (M6) counterbores, appropriately spaced for securing it to breadboards with taps on 1.00" (25.0 mm) centers. The top cap is engraved with the part number for identification. The posts also feature a top-located 1/4"-20 (M6) tapped hole to allow components to be secured to the top of the post.
|Damping Time Under
Specified Test Conditionsa
[1.1 lb (0.50 kg) Load,
2" from the Top of the Post]
[3.6 lb (1.6 kg) Load,
2" from the Top of the Post]
|Fundamental Frequency||780 Hz||~200 Hz|
|Length||8" (203.2 mm)||14" (355.6 mm)|
|Weight||1.56 kg (3.44 lbs)||2.4 kg (5.3 lbs)|
|Top-Located Tapped Hole||1/4"-20 (M6)
0.27" (6.9 mm) Deep
0.33" (8.4 mm) Deep
|Mounting||Permanent Mounting Base with Four 1/4" (M6) Counterbores for securing to Breadboards with 1.00" (25.0 mm) Hole Spacing|
Click to Enlarge
Locking Clamp Positioned Under Our PSY321 Breadboard Mounting Bracket, Holding it in Place and Allowing for Free Rotation of the Bracket
- Retain the Position of Ø1.5" Post Mounted Accessories
- Hinged Clamp Design Allows for Installation Without Removing Existing Shelves
Thorlabs PSY322 Hinged Locking Clamps are the ideal solution for preventing the unwanted movement of accessories along the axis of the post. Locking the clamp in place (5 mm hex key included) directly under a post-mounted accessory, as shown to the right, prevents the accessory from sliding down the post when it is loosened for adjustments. This also allows mounted shelving or brackets to be freely rotated around the axis of the post to a needed position at any time.