Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Diversity Drives Innovation
At Thorlabs, we know that the diversity of our employee base and the community of customers we serve is an integral facet of our ability to innovate. Our team members come from many cultures, religions, nationalities, gender orientations, and backgrounds. Our global reach extends to 21 offices in nine countries, each of which celebrates the uniqueness of its employees and caters to the needs of the local customer base.
- We Recognize that Diversity in Thought and Background is Essential for Advancements in Research and Technology
- We Are Committed to Building a Workforce that Reflects the Diversity of Our Global Customers and Research Partners
- We Focus on Recruiting the Best Talent Globally, Ensuring a Culture of Inclusion, and Promoting the Education and Career Growth and Development of Current Employees
Recent initiatives include:
- Engaging with a Diversity Coach
- Launching Inclusive Leadership Training
- Creating Internal Employee Success Groups (ESGs) that Spearhead Employee Engagement Projects
- Developing the Thorlabs Ambassadors Program: A unique network of college students that helps us create educational content for our
website to better understand – and support – our diverse customer base
Investing in Tomorrow's Scientists
We believe cultivating the next generation of diverse engineers and scientists is essential to our industry. That’s why we support programs that expand STEM education opportunities for all.
Amplify Scholarship. It is awarded annually
to 10 Black undergraduate or graduate-level students.
Empowering Scientists of Color
Thorlabs has benefited from the racial, ethnic, and global diversity of our workforce and customer base. We stand in solidarity in the fight against racism and to actively recruit, mentor, and promote people of color. We also recognize that we can, and must, do better.
We realize that our industry needs to take greater action in encouraging and supporting the full participation of students, scientists, researchers, and engineers of color, as this underrepresented population often does not have the support needed to pursue and achieve a career in the sciences. To this end, we are committed to working with our industry associations to advocate for greater inclusion and racial equality in photonics, optics, and engineering. To represent our commitment to addressing these issues in our industry, we provide support to the following organizations:
- Optica's Amplify Scholarship
- National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
A Spectrum is Generated Using Thorlabs Components
Advocating for LGBTQIA+ Team Members
We support our LGBTQIA+ employees, customer base, and members of the community. We are fortunate to have employees who empower one another and who are committed to helping increase our diversity and inclusivity here at Thorlabs.
As a company, we have rewritten policies to be more inclusive and prioritize inclusivity when building new facilities, such as creating all-gender restrooms. We support organizations such as the National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (NQAPIA) and look to take direction from employees who belong to the LGBTQIA+ community. Our ongoing commitment is to ensure that Thorlabs is a safe and comfortable place for all to work and thrive via freedom of self-expression.
|No Comments Posted