Mounted High-Power LEDs
(Click for Spectrum)a
|Nominal Wavelengtha,b||Min LED Power|
|M365L2||UV||365 nm||190 mW|
|M385L2||UV||385 nm||270 mW|
|M405L2||UV||405 nm||410 mW|
|M420L2||Violet||420 nm||250 mW|
|M455L2||Royal Blue||455 nm||900 mW|
|M470L2||Blue||470 nm||830 mW|
|M490L2||Blue||490 nm||200 mW|
|M505L2||Cyan||505 nm||335 mW|
|M530L2||Green||530 nm||220 mW|
|M565L2||Green Yellow||565nm||100 mW|
|M590L2||Amber||590 nm||150 mW|
|M617L2||Orange||617 nm||390 mW|
|M625L3||Red||625 nm||700 mW|
|M660L3||Deep Red||660 nm||640 mW|
|M735L3||Far Red||735 nm||260 mW|
|M780L2||IR||780 nm||160 mW|
|M850L3||IR||850 nm||900 mW|
|M880L2||IR||880 nm||280 mW|
|M940L2||IR||940 nm||320 mW|
|M970L2||IR||970 nm||35 mW|
|M1050L2||IR||1050 nm||50 mW|
|MWWHL3||Warm White||3000 K||500 mW|
|MCWHL2||Cold White||6500 K||650 mW|
Mounted LED Features
- UV, Visible, and IR Versions
- Integrated EEPROM Stores LED Operating Parameters
- Thermal Properties Optimized for Stable Output Power
- Internal SM1 (1.035"-40) Threading for Mounting
- 4-Pin Female Mating Connector for Custom Power Supplies can be Purchased Separately
- Collimation Adapters Compatible with Selected Leica, Nikon, Olympus, and Zeiss Microscopes Available
- Versions with the Collimation Adapter Included can be Found Here
Each uncollimated, mounted LED consists of a single high-power LED with multiple emitters that has been mounted to the end of a heat sink. The heat sink has internal SM1 (1.035"-40) threads and has the same external diameter (1.20") as an SM1 lens tube, which makes it easy to integrate with other Thorlabs components. The integrated EEPROM chip in each LED stores information about the LED (e.g., current limit, wavelength, and forward voltage) can be read by Thorlabs' DC2100 and DC4100 LED Controllers. For more information about LED drivers, including the basic LEDD1B driver, see the LED Drivers tab.
Optimized Thermal Management
These high-power mounted LEDs possess good thermal stability properties, eliminating the issue of degradation of optical output power due to increased LED temperature. For more details, please see the Stability tab.
Collimation & Microscope Adapters
Collimation adapters are available that contain an AR-coated aspheric lens and are designed to mate to the epi-illumination ports on Leica DMI, Nikon Eclipse, Nikon Eclipse Ti, Olympus IX/BX, and Zeiss Axioskop microscopes. See below for more details. Additionally, Thorlabs offers mounted LEDs with microscope adapters pre-attached. Please see the Collimated LED web page for more information.
These LEDs can be powered with a Thorlabs LEDD1B, DC2100, DC4100, or DC4104 LED driver (the latter two require the DC4100-HUB). See the LED Drivers tab for compatibility and driver features tab. The LEDD1B is capable of providing LED modulation frequencies up to 5 kHz, while DC2100, DC4100, and DC4104 can modulate the LED at a rate up to 100 kHz. In addition, the DC2100, DC4100, and DC4104 drivers are capable of reading the current limit from the EEPROM chip of the connected LED and automatically adjusting the max current setting to protect the LED.
(Click for Spectrum)a
|Nominal Wavelengtha,b||Minimum LED Power|
|Typical LED Power Outputa||Maximum Current |
|Forward Voltage||Bandwidth (FWHM)||Typical Lifetime |
|M365L2||UV||365 nm||190 mW||360 mW||700 mA||4.4 V||7.5 nm||>10,000 h|
|M385L2||UV||385 nm||270 mW||430 mW||700 mA||4.3 V||10 nm||>10,000 h|
|M405L2||UV||405 nm||410 mW||760 mW||1000 mA||3.8 V||13 nm||100,000 h|
|M420L2||Violet||420 nm||250 mW||290 mW||500 mA||3.6 V||12 nm||>10,000 h|
|M455L2||Royal Blue||455 nm||900 mW||1020 mW||1600 mA||3.5 V||20 nm||>50,000 h|
|M470L2||Blue||470 nm||830 mW||950 mW||1600 mA||3.5 V||29 nm||>50,000 h|
|M490L2||Blue||490 nm||200 mW||235 mW||350 mA||3.5 V||27 nm||>10,000 h|
|M505L2||Cyan||505 nm||335 mW||410 mW||1000 mA||3.3 V||29 nm||>50,000 h|
|M530L2||Green||530 nm||220 mW||400 mW||1600 mA||3.5 V||31 nm||>50,000 h|
|M565L2||Green Yellow||565 nm||100 mW||150 mW||500 mA||3.2 V||80 nm||>10,000 h|
|M590L2||Amber||590 nm||150 mW||190 mW||1600 mA||2.5 V||14 nm||>50,000 h|
|M617L2||Orange||617 nm||390 mW||570 mW||1600 mA||2.5 V||16 nm||>50,000 h|
|M625L3||Red||625 nm||700 mW||770 mW||1000 mA||2.2 V||18 nm||100,000 h|
|M660L3||Deep Red||660 nm||640 mW||700 mW||1200 mA||2.5 V||25 nm||>65,000 h|
|M735L3||Far Red||735 nm||260 mW||310 mW||1200 mA||2.4 V||35 nm||>65,000 h|
|M780L3||IR||780 nm||160 mW||420 mW||1000 mA||2.0 V||31 nm||>10,000 h|
|M850L3||IR||850 nm||900 mW||1100 mW||1000 mA||2.9 V||30 nm||100,000 h|
|M880L2||IR||880 nm||280 mW||330 mW||1000 mA||1.7 V||50 nm||>10,000 h|
|M940L2||IR||940 nm||320 mW||460 mW||1000 mA||1.4 V||30 nm||100,000 h|
|M970L2||IR||970 nm||35 mW||50 mW||600 mA||1.4 V||45 nm||>10,000 h|
|M1050L2||IR||1050 nm||50 mW||70 mW||700 mA||1.5 V||60 nm||>10,000 h|
|MWWHL3c||Warm White||3000 K||500 mW||550 mW||1000 mA||3.1 V||N/A||>50,000 h|
|MCWHL2c||Cold White||6500 K||650 mW||700 mW||1600 mA||3.5 V||N/A||>50,000 h|
Optimized Thermal Management
The thermal dissipation performance of these mounted LEDs has been optimized for stable power output. The heat sink is directly mounted to the LED mount so as to provide optimal thermal contact. By doing so, the degradation of optical output power that can be attributed to increased LED junction temperature is minimized (see the graph to the right).
Pin Connection - Male
The diagram to the right shows the male connector of the mounted LED assembly. It is a standard M8 x 1 sensor circular connector. Pins 1 and 2 are the connection to the LED. Pin 3 and 4 are used for the internal EEPROM in these LEDs. If using an LED driver that was not purchased from Thorlabs, be careful that the appropriate connections are made to Pin 1 and Pin 2 and that you do not attempt to drive the LED through the EEPROM pins.
|Compatible Drivers||LEDD1B||DC2100a||DC4100a, b, c||DC4104a, b, c|
|Click Photos to Enlarge|
|Max LED Driver Current Output||1.2 A||2.0 A||1.0 A per Channel||1.0 A per Channel|
|Max Modulation Frequency Using External Input||5 kHz||100 kHzd||100 kHzd|
(Simultaneous Across all Channels)
(Independently Controlled Channels)
|Interface||Analog||USB 2.0||USB 2.0||USB 2.0|
|Main Driver Features||Very Compact Footprint|
60 mm x 73 mm x 104 mm
(W x H x D)
|Individual Pulse Width Control||4 Channelsc||4 Channelsc|
|EEPROM Compatible: Reads Out LED Data for LED Settings||-||x||x||x|
Collimating the LED
Thorlabs' mounted high-power LEDs can be easily collimated with Ø1" components using the items listed in the table below. Some of the applications of the collimated LEDs include custom imaging systems, microscope illuminators, or projectors. Please be careful to follow proper optics handling procedures (Optic Handling Tutorial) during the following steps.
- Adjustable length lens tube assembly:
- Description: The adjustable length lens tube (SM1V05) allows one to accurately control the exact working distance of the lens while collimating the LED. The SM1-threaded (1.035”-40) SM1V05 comes with a locking nut and a retaining ring. For customers concerned with the homogenity of the beam, the AR-coated aspheric condenser lens with diffuser (ACL2520-DG6-A or ACL2520-DG6-B) is a good option.
- Setup: By the end of this step, the lens will rest on top of one retaining ring (SM1RR) and be secured in place by another retaining ring placed on top of it. To begin, use the spanner wrench (SPW801) to turn the included retaining ring in the adjustable length lens tube so that it is closer to the inside lip of the tube. Then, carefully place the lens inside the adjustable length lens tube with the curved side facing away from the male-threaded end of the tube. Finally, secure the lens in place with another retaining ring (SM1RR) using the spanner wrench.
- Thread the male end of the SM1L03 lens tube into the female end of the LED and gently tighten it.
- Partially thread the male end of the SM1V05 adjustable length lens tube assembly into the female end of the SM1L03-LED assembly.
- Obtaining a well-collimated beam:
- Description: A well-collimated beam has minimal divergence and will not converge at any point in the beam path. Be advised that due to the nature of the output from the LED (high emitter surface area), the beam cannot be perfectly collimated. Please refer to the table below for divergence data.
- Setup: Power on the LED and check to see if it is properly collimated. It is easiest to check that the beam is collimated by noting the changes in the beam diameter over a range of about 1” to 2 feet away; then tighten or loosen the adjustable length lens assembly and check again. Do this until the least divergent, non-converging, homogenous beam is obtained. The beam should be somewhat circular in diameter, may have a slightly polygonal shape, and should not be a clear image of the LED itself.
- If you see an image of the LED, this means that the lens is not close enough to the LED. Tighten the SM1V05 until the image blurs and becomes homogenous – this is the point of collimation. If the lens needs to be closer to the LED, use only one retaining ring to secure the lens in the SM1V05 so that the lens will rest on the inside lip of the SM1V05 adjustable length lens tube.
- Once the proper collimation position of the lens has been found, loosen the SM1V05 assembly by about ¼ to ½ turn, rotate the external locking nut until it is flush with the edge of the SM1L03 lens tube, and gently tighten both the assembly and the locking nut by ¼ to ½ turn (there should be slight resistance; do not over tighten). This will lock the collimation position in place.
|Optimum Lens to Emitter Distanceb||Half Viewing Anglec|
|+1 mm Out of Focusd||at Optimum Focusing Distance||-1 mm Out of Focusd|
|M365L2||UV||365 nm||12.7 mm||2.79°||1.32°||3.11°|
|M385L2||UV||385 nm||12.8 mm||2.68°||1.33°||3.06°|
|M405L2||UV||405 nm||12.9 mm||2.94°||1.63°||3.06°|
|M455L2||Royal Blue||455 nm||13.9 mm||4.71°||4.43°||4.90°|
|M470L2||Blue||470 nm||13.9 mm||4.73°||4.38°||4.93°|
|M505L2||Cyan||505 nm||13.1 mm||3.99°||1.65°||3.30°|
|M530L2||Green||530 nm||14.1 mm||4.68°||4.37°||4.84°|
|M590L2||Amber||590 nm||14.2 mm||4.75°||4.40°||4.86°|
|M617L2||Orange||617 nm||14.3 mm||4.77°||4.39°||4.83°|
|M625L3||Red||625 nm||14.2 mm||4.69°||4.41°||4.85°|
|M660L3||Deep Red||660 nm||13.9 mm||2.84°||1.65°||2.95°|
|M735L3||Far Red||735 nm||13.6 mm||2.76°||1.65°||2.99°|
|M780L2||IR||780 nm||13.7 mm||2.70°||1.66°||2.82°|
|M850L3||IR||850 nm||14.5 mm||3.91°||1.61°||3.17°|
|M940L2||IR||940 nm||14.6 mm||3.88°||1.60°||3.17°|
|MCWHL2||Cold White||6500 K||12.2 mm||4.10°||3.48°||4.27°|
The divergence data was calculated using Zemax.